Yield: 4 servings
Time: 40 minutes
2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa or other small-kernel grain or 1 cup raw
1 large or 2 medium (about 1 pound) sweet potatoes
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
1/4 cup minced red onion or shallot
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic, sherry, or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup minced fresh chives or parsley leaves
- If you haven’t already, cook the quinoa or other grain. Drain in a strainer and rinse.
- Peel the sweet potato and dice it into 1/2-inch or smaller pieces. Cook it in boiling salted water to cover until tender, about 15 minutes; drain well.
- Toss together the potato, quinoa, bell pepper and onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together oil and vinegar and toss the salad with about half of this mixture; add all or some of the rest to taste.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Garnish with chives and serve.